bringing Hoosiers of faith together to help curb global climate change
The Bloomington affiliate of Hoosier Interfaith Power and Light
Let us create an ever-widening circle of care for creation.
We welcome congregations, congregational greening groups and individuals as members. To congregations and active members, we send emails no more than weekly. To others, we send emails no more than monthly. To join, email us at EarthCareIndiana@gmail.com. We provide a variety of services to any congregation and also encourage congregations to commit to becoming an Earth Care Covenant Community. When a congregation joins Earth Care, you signal to other congregations that caring for creation is important.
Earth Care Services for Any Congregation
To the best of our ability, Earth Care is committed to providing:
- a Cut Your Costs / Cut Your Carbon workshop to help members of congregations cut their costs and carbon,
- Green Team consulting services for any congregation to help it cut its costs and carbon,
- an educational event related to climate change tailored to your congregation’s needs. Contact us at EarthCareIndiana@gmail.com,
- all the support needed to set up Walbicus to Worship weekends,
- the easy ability to participate in our Speak up for the Earth advocacy work and
- web-based resources on greening congregations and households, faith responses to climate change, and the science of climate change and energy sources.
Let us know what interests you.
Beyond this, Earth Care will support congregations that choose to become covenant communities. A covenant community commits to:
- 50% of its members participating in the Cut Your Carbon workshops, another carbon-reducing program, or demonstrate an already low carbon footprint.
- Initiating outreach to at least one other faith community of same denomination locally or elsewhere in state to engage them in creation care activities
- Congregational greening: completing Earth Care’s list of basic most effective energy conservation and efficiency actions.
- Undergoing a congregational energy audit
Earth Care will provide technical and financial support to the best of its ability. Once a community completes the first five steps above, Earth Care will help it finance a professional energy audit to give it the guidance it needs to cut its energy usage and costs further.
Download the Earth Care Covenant and mail it back to Earth Care 1228 E. Maxwell Lane, Bloomington, IN 47401.